Blackberry World is an App Store for the smartphone operating system BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry PlayBook OS from Blackberry. Currently are about 120,000 apps available, of which about 75% are chargeable.
To download you have to register an account (BlackBerry ID). Payment can be made via PayPal, credit card and on the phone bill. Unlike other smartphone ecosystems, it is possible to obtain apps, even outside of the store. It was only with the latest version 3.1 it is possible to access the store via Wi-Fi. There is a new function that you can buy an app, and then give away to friends.
The store was announced on 21 October 2008 at the BlackBerry Developer Conference and went online on April 1, 2009.
In his keynote at developers conference DevCon Europe on 7 February 2012, the BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins gave the following figures known:
- 2 billion downloads by January 2012
- Payment in 26 currencies
- available since May 2013 120.000 Apps
- 6 million downloads per day on average
- represented in 164 markets
- Purchase over phone bill at 40 mobile providers
- About 20% of the available apps are ported Android programs running in an emulator.